President Rodrigo Duterte admitted that he is having difficulty in selecting an “appropriate guy” who will take over as new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief.
“It’s kind of a — hindi naman (not really) messy, but it’s very hard to — at this time to choose a candidate na who would really… The appropriate guy. Mahirap eh (It’s difficult),” Duterte said in a media interview in Malacañang.
Duterte said he wanted his next PNP chief to possess honesty but noted that the fact of the matter is that it was a rare trait.
Meanwhile, Duterte said he would leave it to the Office of the Ombudsman to decide on the case of resigned PNP chief Oscar Albayalde.
“Let the Ombudsman. Ang administrative is wala na kasi mag-retire na siya if there’s a criminal liability, kung meron (There’s no need for administrative liability because he’s retiring, just criminal liability if there is),” Duterte said.
“He’s retiring. The heaviest penalty there is you are separated from service,” he added.
Last week, the PNP-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) amended its original complaint to include Albayalde who was Pampanga Provincial Police Director when the drug raid involving ‘ninja cops’ took place in 2013.
Albayalde allegedly attempted to influence the dismissal order against his 13 former subordinates accused of recycling illegal drugs.
On Oct. 14, Albayalde relinquished and went on non-duty status (NDS) before his mandatory retirement on Nov. 8 when he turns 56.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo earlier said Albayalde resigned because he is tired of hearing “false and unfair” accusations about his involvement in illegal drugs. (PNA)