The Philippine National Police (PNP) is now in its final stage of preparations for the deployment of its medical corps and other health care personnel to the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC), which was set up as a patient care facility for suspected coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases, PNP chief Gen. Archie Gamboa said.
Gamboa, in a statement on Saturday, said the PNP has been tasked to manage the security at the PICC while the PNP Health Service (PNPHS) will be in charge of the medical operations.
He said a walk-thru inspection was conducted on Saturday by PNPHS officials at the facility located at the PICC Forum Tent that is designed to cater to 294 patients with mild to moderate Covid-19 cases.
“The PNP, with our corps of medical and healthcare personnel, is honored to take on this crucial responsibility in our national efforts to stand our ground against Covid-19 and heal the land of this contagion. This health facility at PICC will provide supportive care to anyone who will be admitted under close supervision of the PNP Health Service and DOH,” Gamboa said.
As of Saturday, the PNPHS recorded two new Covid-19 cases among PNP personnel, bringing the total to 27.
One of them, PNP Patient 26 is a 52-year-old policeman assigned in Metro Manila. He is now undergoing self-quarantine and treatment.
The other is a 34-year-old female PNP member who had earlier succumbed to the illness and was confirmed to be infected in test results released recently. She was recorded as PNP Patient 27 by the PNPHS.
Meanwhile, two policemen who earlier tested positive for Covid-19 have recovered, bringing the total number of recoveries among PNP members to four.
The third and fourth recovered cases were PNP Patient 2, a 31-year-old policeman from Manila and PNP Patient 9, a 55-year-old policeman from Quezon City. Both have been discharged from the hospital. (PNA)